In 1951, Polonia commenced competing in competition soccer, and were part of the Metropolitan Association’s Southern League, Division B, until 1957. Until their final year in the Southern League, they achieved moderate success and qualified for the odd semi-final, but were not victorious in any competitions.
In 1954, they amalgamated with another Polish-based club Syrena, who hailed from Chullora at the time. Syrena was formed by Tadeusz Mider, Roman Zasadzki and T. Połeć. Syrena themselves proved a competitive unit whilst playing in the Canterbury Association. They were victorious in a Knock-out tournament under the captaincy of Czesław Kwaśniak while playing under their independent identity.
With the amalgamation, Polonia became a vigorous and thriving club accommodating other sports such as tennis, table tennis, volleyball, chess, bridge plus choirs and theatricals.
1957 saw the establishment of the NSW Soccer Federation, which was to become the States and even the Nation’s premier soccer competition and organisation. Sensing their need to become a force in soccer, Polonia joined the Federations’ ranks in 1958, and were placed in Division Two.
Their debut season proved quite successful, as for a greater portion of the year, they were on track to qualify to the semi-finals. Unfortunately, a poor finish to the season saw them slip to fifth, thus denying them their fairytale debut. On a goal-scoring front though, Polonia amassed a season record 89 goals from 22 games.
The 2nd Grade side also fared prominently, finishing first in the Premiership with 39 points, giving Polonia its first ever title.
Polonia didn’t quite carry on their form of their debut year into 1959, with mid-table finishes in both grades.